Monday, December 27, 2010

Lucy loves the snow!



This illustrates the amount of snow we got....



Here are the girls appearing from the barn


Here is every one waiting patiently for me to let them out....


The straggler lamb. Just after I took this pic, I with help of Lucy cornered her and carried her out the open fence...



Christmas eve and Christmas day were very nice. Excellent food, and a nice relaxing time. Church started later on Christmas eve than would have been nice, so I was out late, as we opened presents when we got home from Church.

We had a big storm last night into today. The wind was the worst, for me anyway. It was so windy, I didn't shovel any snow last night. This morning I was greeted by an approximately 3 foot snow drift at the sliding glass door on the deck, so the dogs had to go out the laundry room door.

I had put the sheep up in the corral by the barn yesterday (it was SO cold, that it was pretty uncomfortable working outside). I filled their buckets of water, threw in a couple bales of hay, and put a tarp across the top half of the door way. I wondered if the sheep would actually stay in the barn.

Oh, and yesterday, I treated everyone for Lice. Yes, Lice. One lamb has them, which means they all will, or if not, they all got treated. If I didn't have Lucy to help me (or Danny) I could never have gotten it done. One more treatment in two weeks, and then again at shearing. Gross. Disgusting. Will have to let the guy where I got my lambs from know....

So, when I got to the farm today after work, I was greeted with HUGE snow drifts. Half way up my thigh behind the barn. I had to clear out the gate area of the pasture. Once that was done, I went and checked on the sheep, and lo and behold they were in the barn. In fact, by the lack of tracks, they were in it all night. I cleared out the fence opening and got everyone out. All but one dumb lamb, who could not figure it out. After much work by Lucy and I, I finally had Lucy corner her and I picked her butt up, and then she ran to be with the rest of the flock that had already made tracks (literally) to the home pasture.

So, now I am caught up with everything and the rest of the day is spent doing domestic stuff. My how times have changed. The time I spent wondering when I could work my dogs is now spent on normal life :) Normal life IS working the dogs, at home, or close to home anyway :)

No comments: