Monday, December 6, 2010

Good weekend :) Bad Monday (again). I have no heat again. Isn't that special? No, no it isn't. I think we know what the problem is, but suffice to say, from now on, in the winter, I will either buy straight Kerosene to heat the house, or something they call winter blend. This is NOT for the birds (as in my poor birds cannot handle temps this cold).

Okay, onto better things. Saturday I worked, and later in the day, I had another lesson with a friend's BC. Things were a bit crazier, but, the dog is very soft, so it was sort of a mixed result session. The owner is very keen on keeping up with this, so I think what I really need to do is get more sheep, and a smaller pen to work sheep in. As my sheep get jiggered and then take off down the hill to the gate, and it becomes a real morass to get them sorted again.

I had to separate off the lambs for this lesson and got all but one out. The third lamb I picked up as it would not come away from the ewes. When I picked her up, I was pleasantly surprised at her heft. I guess the hay is just the ticket for these girls.

Sunday was the fun trial. I decided to run Danny twice. The first run was Lucy's spot in pro-novice. High headed sheep, probably helped to that state by Danny's lift. I sent him left, saw he was tight, stopped him, and gave him a re-direct. It was pretty good at the top. But, tight enough that the sheep were looking to escape the entire run. That is never good.... So, we made half hearted attempts at the post and panels, and then we just went to the pen. Danny did great at the pen. Sheep were several yards away and we were able to just get them in, so we ended on a good note!


The second run was novice novice, and I sent Danny right. Well, he was a bit tight and when he got up there he boomed the sheep (too close at fast). But, then after they exploded, he just hung back and was like... what did I do? I better stay back, and let them get together. Since I am an idiot I ignored lines on the fetch, and then we did a nice turn at the post, and then I wore the sheep- I should have driven, but things were going well... And, the sheep were sticking to me (unlike the other group I had earlier). I had the sheep following/pushing on me (even though Danny was far off), so I hit the ground to slow them, and got to the pen, and Danny got them in.

It was a much better run. Danny was very happy with himself afterward, and so I was I.

Score not so great due to tight outrun/lift and off line at fetch, but other than that great :)

Since I double baled the sheep on Saturday, as I didn't make it there Sunday, I was worried about them this morning, so I got up extra early, and have already fed them their hay today. Let's hope the heat gets fixed soon....

No comments: