Friday, December 13, 2013

It has been *cold*.  I am beginning to understand why people go south for the winter... Not that I could *ever* live in Florida! 

The other day, a friend of mine and I combined a couple trips with his truck and I got some bales of straw.  It is about that time- sheep are hanging out in  the barn, and I don't want to have to get a huge amount at one time- AND he has a truck! 

To return the favor I went to help him re-fit the hay feeder he has for his cattle.  They were dragging the hay out onto the ground (where they will not eat it), and at $50.00 a bale, going through two bales a week is um.. expensive!  He had a plan, but after we thought it out, we added a panel on one end- high enough so the young ones could reach in on the one side that he adds the hay to the feeder (this also has a roof).  And then, instead of one piece of wood at the top to prevent the pull down, we cut the wood in half so there is a lip at the bottom and at the top.  Hopefully this shall result in a lot less wastage.

Today after work I have to get another shovel, as the handle is broken on mine.  They have announced that there is a winter storm warning, with about 7+ inches of snow in the valley.. So I do need a shovel...   Also want to clean out the barn a bit today, and put new straw in it.  Here we go with winter work...

Well, hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

No comments: