Sunday, July 17, 2011

It's Sunday morning and well, it's nice and quiet. Yesterday, I worked Dan, and my plan was to work on left flanks, as he can still be tense with them, and fetching sheep as they ran to the gate. This could have gone better. I realized when I was done I was way to tense. Dan does not deserve this. Sheep don't make him really tense; I do. I felt bad after working him. I resolved to make some substantial changes in my affect next time I worked him.

Today, I got up early, with a massive headache. I was supposed to go work dogs with my friend, but had to cancel. I went up to the farm, did short work with Dan, with a much improved attitude (mine), and voila, Danny was very very good. It would appear that if I say nothing, and just make clear what I want, he is very very calm. Even sending him into the small pen to get sheep, and then hold them, he was good. We ended by a bit of driving. I have been putting in a few of the young lambs with the adult Border Leicesters to break them a bit. The influence of the BLs is good, as it slows the Cheviots down. I like both these breeds for working dogs, though the Cheviot is hardier.

Heat wave this week; that's what they are forecasting anyway. I doubt much sheep work, as I am busy at work all week, and by the time I get to the farm, it will be HOT. Neither the sheep, nor Danny and I can handle high heat/humidity.

I think I may have found a ram for John and I to use. We will go see him in a couple of weeks. I have made more contacts for Registered Cheviot sheep, so this is great too!

My birthday is Tues, and no plans whatsoever, maybe I will buy myself a nice birthday cake.

So, that's it for now. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

No comments: