Thursday, May 3, 2012

That HORRID weed.............

It's rearing it's ugly head again.  In case you don't remember, it's called "White Snake Root" and it's poisonous to all who eat it (even those who drink milk from animals who eat it).  It's rather small now, but it's coming...  I left it go last year for a long time not knowing what it was, and by the time I dealt with it, the plants were HUGE and the stems to woody to use a string trimmer on.  So, yesterday, after work I set to pulling all that I could see.   So many roots still left, but at least I am hitting this plant at it's weakest stage.  It loves to grow around the base of trees and is trying to fill in where the bushes I cut out were.  I have about four more sessions to get rid of most of it.  This will be a perennial battle, until I can get ahead of it, and the plant starts to dislike all the sun- it likes shade and much of the shade it had is now gone.  I don't know anyone else who actually hand weeds in a field.... But, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Sheep are well.  Just feeding the lambs now, and they seem to be doing well.   I am planning to vaccinate/worm/tag everyone in a couple of weeks, when I have some help around.  These lambs are no quiet things, I will definitely need help. 

Dogs are good.  Joe is getting more freedom around the house- especially in the mornings.  He pesters Dan, and Kylie pretty much just shows him her pearly whites, and Nikke, well, Nikke has already taught him to leave her alone.  Lucy, well, she's not loose during this.  When he's a bit older, Dan, Lucy and Joe will be allowed to run together. 

I have lots to do in the house, but lately, I am very tired.  I have no idea why.  I made a nice steak dinner last night and slept really well, so maybe I will be more energetic- I don't know.  Getting old(er) is for the birds.

Well, that's it for now, I hope everyone is having a great week!

1 comment:

Dancing shepherdess said...

ps: that's perennial in both a literal and figurative sense :)