Saturday, August 16, 2008

Another trial, and plans

Lucy and I ran at the Cooperstown sheepdog trial on Friday. It was a looong drive through some back woods to get there. I had heard lots of good things about this trial, but had never been there. It is a pretty field- a giant hill. Novice class was first. Lucy and I were 4th. The very first run was a real stunner, and they ended up winning. Looked darn easy.... When it came time for us, I could tell Lucy was just wizzing. She was running around as I walked to the post. I had my fears... I didn't know which way I would send her, because the set out and the exhaust were on the left. It would give her more room to send to the right, but I let her decide. She automatically set herself up on my left. I sent Lucy, and she took off nicely, and came around nice. Sheep didn't move. She then automatically slowed up on the lift, and walked in. That was all just very nice. Then I downed her.... She DOWNED!!!!!!!!! She took it!!!! Then, I said "walk up" which was THE WRONG THING to say to Lucy. She got up fast, and they took off at a dead run- and Lucy was way too close. The judge admonished us several times to NOT harass the sheep, so I dutifully left the post. I don't remember when I got her to down- perhaps halfway to me? The sheep were jiggered. Lucy was OVER THE TOP hyped. Instead of downing, she stood- which I will take... Anyway, we got around the course- God knows how, and then at the pen, there just was not going to be a pen with her so tight, and zipping. At one point they bolted for the exhaust and Lucy zipped around to head them and yipped. That's a new thing the yipping and it's all tension. So, I finally decided discretion is the better part of valor, and we thanked the judge.

Later that day I spoke with a trainer who I had brought Lucy to for a few lessons, and she offered to take Lucy in for training. There is just no way I can get Lucy worked enough to get on whistles, solid flanks and solid downs etc., by myself. I think her on whistles will be very very good- it will take all the tension out. So, week after next, Lucy heads out to sheep camp... I will miss her so much, but she really needs this. We are stuck in a rut.

There were other runs that didn't go so well too. *********** There was an older Aussie there- I like this little dog- she had a hard time on her outrun- little legs, tough terrain, and she stopped short, and then those sheep just bolted for the exhaust. So, all the non-bc's faultered- DARN IT!

Some BCs had a hard time too though. These sheep got heavier and heavier as the day went on. By the time ranch rolled around, watching the dogs move these sheep was rather like watching curling. The sheep just had to be kept moving, or they would stop, and turn, and then when the dog walked up, they would spook/scatter. OH LORD. Lots of heading happening too. I would have to say that these were not the best sheep- not the worst, but very hard for all but the most quietly forceful dogs to handle. Lucy can handle heavy sheep, but it builds tension, and I am sure that is the same for many dogs.

It was a nice day, but a long one. I just don't take to driving these distances much. Lucy remained hyped when watching other dogs- enough that she shook and her teeth clattered. OY VEY.

Well, enough of this for now.

No comments: