Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Working sheep and geese

Lucy hasn't had the opportunity to do much sheep work lately. My regular training buddy has been away at trials, and I have been flat out busy. Not much goose work either- that may stop altogether, given the estimated tax bill... But, enough of that. Let's get on to the good stuff.

Lucy worked new sheep the other day (seems we do that a LOT). It was a varied group of lambs, adults, and within those, breeds. There were two that were definitely prone to fighting. Well, only one- the other was a paper tiger- she would put her head down, mock charge, and then hightail it. Wimp. Then, there is another ewe that is a real fighter- will seek a dog out. Lucy experienced her when she didn't want to come away from the pen area. I encouraged Lucy, and Lucy did come at her, but then did that shoot around behind her stuff- which is HUGELY counterproductive. It prevents the sheep from learning that turning off a dog is good, because then they are left alone. OY VEY Lucy. Since I wanted Lucy to WORK sheep, not FIGHT sheep, she was put away for the time being..

Then we worked on the nice workable sheep. Even got some pens done. We never get to practice a pen, so this was cool beans for us. Lucy LIKES to pen, and she was calm and cool as a cucumber. We got something like 10 sheep penned in a small trial size pen- neat. We also worked on outruns. Now, I was a bit reticent, because the last sheep that were here were just not good workers, and they glued themselves to the corner, and the fenceline. Not fun. Well, when I sent Lucy for these sheep, they were in the corner, and I simply prayed that Lucy would remain calm, and bring them out. Sure enough, she got them out fine, and brought them up nice. We took a bit of a break, and the sheep headed down to the far end of the pasture. Lucy and I were sitting under a tree- she catching her breath, me swatting at mosquitoes. One thing I love to do, is to be able to sit on the ground and send her, and have her just do her thing while I am totally relaxed. So, I sent her- well, after I set her up, and asked her to "look". Then, once her gaze locked on, and her breath became just a bit tight- this means she saw them, I sent her. She had just all very very good outruns that day. She was correct and stylish the whole way. It was quite nice. When she brought them to me, she took the downs I asked for. Very good girl. Lucy hasn't backslid at all. That is very good to see.

So, then we decided to deal with nasty nelly as I shall call her. I brought Lucy in the small pen/shed with her, and had Lucy just chill out around her. True to her name she came out at Lucy. She looked to crush Lucy. It was quite a sight. She rolled Lucy a couple of times. Lucy at one point slid out under the gate- but I believe this was not so much tail turn as save thy butt, because she came right back in loaded for bear. It plain amazes me- the dog's courage. Lucy was not hurt, neither was the sheep, but I think the sheep will think twice about coming at Lucy. Lucy could be a tad calmer/braver, but all in all, I think she handles sheep like this well. She seems to know the natural order of things- dogs rule sheep, PERIOD. So, after that work, we worked the good sheep again, and then all we did with nasty nelly and her 3 friends (including the paper tiger) was have Lucy work on just walking up them, and them turning off. I want them to know that doing that is the best plan of action, and also, I want Lucy to know that the goal is to turn them and keep them going that way, not circling around, irritating the heck out of them

Oh, this blog is getting long... Anyway, after the sheep work, we went to the golf course. We got the geese moving and they landed in the BIG pond. Great. Well, Lucy was up for it. I didn't even have to ask her to go in after the geese- she did so no problem. Then, she was in there for the better part of an hour. Working and working them, until FINALLY they had had enough and left- they did do an immediate flyover, but Lucy was in pond still. Then, one single goose came back. Lucy went after him, and went across the pond and back twice, but then she hit the wall. She was cooked. Her legs were giving up the ghost. She came out rather quietly, didn't fight the hose wash off, and is now deeply asleep at my feet. That was hard work. Lucy really really signifies to me what a working dog is. She works for me, because that is what she must, not because I tell her. It is born to her, and it is undeniable. I am very fortunate to have this girl. I do so love and respect her.

No comments: