Friday, March 14, 2008

Which did she chose?

I worked Lucy yesterday. We need to get back into more regular work, now that the ground is workable and the weather not too cold. To give a bit of background, what I have been doing with the dogs when we can't work sheep, is to chase geese off the golf courses. Lucy loves this work, and I too, love being outside. I believe my happiest days were when I worked outside for a living... But, I digress.... Lucy's goose work is spot on, and she is carrying over her sheep working mental processes onto the geese- on that note, the other day there was a large swan in the pond. Lucy spotted the swan, and ran all the way around the pond to get to balance with this swan, who looked very non-plussed. Lucy came to balance, standing on a brick wall that encloses a culvert, and as the swan turned it's body, she counter balanced to me, but enough of that for now..

Anyway, as I was saying, I worked Lucy. As we walked into the field, there were about 50-60 geese, all spread out. The sheep were in the back left hand corner. Hmmm, I thought, what will she do? This is truly a conundrum, or is it? So, I set her up, and sent her come by. It was tighter there- as in the sheep were near that fence, but I believe at this point, I need to challenge the little lass, where I can. She took off like a bullet and headed for the sheep. She came up behind them, and brought them to me, with nary a look at the geese, who we honking and fussing to all get out. This was very cool. Lucy has made her decision what she really is in this world, and although she loves her goose control, and is quite amazing at it; sheep herding is her real gig.

We continued to work, and I got some video, although I look like a giant blue and white m and m, and lots of the video is of me, there was some stuff on there that looked quite good by Lucy. We have a long way to go, but I've no doubt we will get there.

No comments: