Monday, March 24, 2008

Strange field, strange sheep

This weekend I trekked the 4 hours driving EACH WAY it took to go and see where we are going to host the Kevin Howell clinic in June. I really wanted to see the place, and get a feel for how best to set it up. We arrived (Lucy, Kylie and I) and met Rich Seaman- what a nice guy :) Anyway, I got to watch a couple of lessons, and then, the highlight of the day- a couple of Kelpies showed up. Both were imported from Noonbarra- a male and a female. The male was a real standout in the sheep work department. He was absolutely wonderful to watch. He had VERY nice pace on his fetch, good outruns, and was very biddable. It was a real joy to see. I predict under Rich's tutelage, this dog will be competitive in open usbcha trials. I also got to work Lucy. Lucy was a bit high- picture taking a thoroughbred out to the track, after a couple of days off... Well, that was Lucy. Lucy had to pull off the fence, which is something she has done well at home, but not away, so she was full on and jiggered up the sheep. After that, I had to keep Lucy well off, to calm them. Once we established the rules, then everything went better. Lucy just tries her heart out for me. It was a very good experience, for her to be on these strange sheep, and see that I will require her minding her p's and q's, even in strange places. Probably many folks would be further along than Lucy and I, but in our defense, it is both of ours first experience, and we are learning together.
Rich showed me his very nice flock of sheep and their lambs (I love lambs), and I got to check out where I will be hanging my hat during the Kevin Howell clinic. Nice little camper- will be great to be right at the site. Time is flying now, only 10 weeks until Kevin and Kay arrive- YEAH!

No comments: