Monday, March 17, 2008

Sad News

Many folks probably don't know that I also have non- Kelpies in my home. One non-Kelpie is my Boxer named Tucker. Tucker is a fawn/white Boxer, who has always been a wonderful friend and protector. Really, he lives to just be my dog. I love him. My sister had his mother, and together we whelped his litter. He was never destined for the show ring, but what a handsome boy, and top temperament he has. Tucker is getting up there in age, so slowing down a bit, maybe losing a little hearing, but all normal older dog stuff. Well, a few weeks ago, while checking his ear (it sometimes bothers him), I felt a large lymph gland on the right side of his neck. I immediately got very upset. I knew what this meant- well, odds were, anyway, that is was the dreaded Lymphoma. See, Boxers are known for being predisposed to cancers. At first, I was afraid to bring him to the vet- I could not hear that word. But, I did. I brought him that night, and they took an aspirate of the gland and sent it in for pathology. I didn't hear for a long time, and when I finally called the vet (tired of waiting), I was told that basically, the results were what we in the biz, call "equivocal", meaning the results showed that this could be lymphoma, or not. So, the sample was sent back out to have another pathologist take a look. Results came back probable Lymphoma. I learned that on Saturday. I was upset, so I couldn't talk much when the vet was telling me. I remember him saying that we need to consider his age when we talk about treatment plans. I told the vet I wanted to do some research, and that's what I am doing. Tucker has been drinking more, and is not so settled lately- he gets up a lot and drinks, and lays down. He also is gagging a bit. It has been very hard for me, because he is one just wonderful dog. I will call the vet practice today, and ask to speak with one of the vets I am more comfortable with, as this new vet does not inspire confidence. Please, if you can, send some healing thoughts, and love Tucker's way.

No comments: