Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Winter Musings




Well, this has been one very long winter. If it hasn't been snowing, it has been freezing. If it isn't freezing, it's pouring rain. Then there's the ice. Basically, in order to work sheep, you need to NOT have a skating rink under your feet. So, work has been done sparingly. I am so looking forward to spring, green grass, and warmer weather. The dogs have taken it all in stride, making the best of it when we take our long walks. This spring I hope to run Lucy in some trials, and see where we stand. Lucy is very keen, and sometimes is a but pushy on the fetch. We have worked hard on that. I see no reason to rush her, and we will see how it goes. I want to get her driving well, and also learning to shed. Lucy loves doing different things, and I think this keeps her fresh, and her brain absorbing more and more, which only makes her a better sheep dog. I recently saw some video of a very nice Kelpie working calmly and smoothly, and the dog is only 9 months old. I was very impressed. I think Kelpies range in their work styles as much as the Border Collie. This is the year I hope to really build up our goose control work. The dogs and I enjoy this work very much, and I would love to have this be our main focus. Goose control is good for the environment, the geese, and the working dogs. Everyone benefits. Fingers crossed for growth in this area of our lives. Only a few more weeks until March, and some warmer weather. It can't come soon enough!

No comments: