Friday, July 11, 2008

To be or not to be, that is the question

Well, no not really. I think Lucy and I just have hit a bit of a rut. But, I think we are fundamentally okay, just having some growing pains... Anyway, someone I spoke to on the phone the other day said something so poignant. She said that Kelpies are control freaks. Yes, I have to agree on that. Lucy's issues come from her wanting to control the situation- she doesn't on purpose blow me off, she simply is a take charge girl. I know what that's like. When I was going to school, if my lab group wasn't doing their jobs, and we were leaning toward doing poorly, I ended up doing all their work, plus mine. I just figured in the end, if I took over, even if it was more work, my grades would be okay. I believe Lucy is a bit like this- a LOT like this. Lucy sees sheep barreling for me, and she simply shifts to "over-drive, control the situation" mode, and I have to fight that- there isn't a good way to fight it. IF, and if I could remember this, our lives would be much better, when I sent her, and saw her kick up speed - and I mean at the MILI SECOND that she sped up, I stopped her, or gave her a steady- the whole running, and then her shifting to O/D would not happen. I spoke to a few trainers this week, seriously considering sending Lucy out for training. There are inherent problems with that. First, Lucy really really doesn't like crating- as in has damaged her teeth. She would HAVE to be crated during her down time. Second, there are no guarantees. So, my gut says work through it with my girl. Our team moral was at a low point this week, as I got very frustrated with her when I had her on some undogged, not well sheep. She had a hard time getting them off the fence- they ran it single file. I have seen her get other sheep off fences, so I thought she could handle these. When all was said and done I had effectively shut my girl down. This so upset me. The last time we worked, things went better, because we stopped while we were ahead. I am planning to go to strange dog broke sheep tomorrow, here's to us fixing up our relationship!

No comments: