Friday, April 11, 2008

Another day with the flock...

Well, another nice day working sheep has been had by all. I never imagined when I first got into sheepherding with Lucy, that my life would take such a turn. I have made some good friends, learned more than I ever imagine, and have a new found appreciation for the simple things in life. Worked Lucy on the Scotties again the other day. She was good, save for a couple shenanigans, but I was able to address them. She is not as mature, as say a BC for her age, but she is getting her stride, that is for sure. She has no problem covering sheep that are running hell bent for leather for the draw- none. It is almost as if this is her forte ;) We worked a little longer than the last few times on these sheep, and she seemed to think she could loosen up- but these sheep don't really allow that- so, I as her partner, have to keep her mindful of what she is doing. These sheep will tire of stupid stuff by dogs, and this means they will eventually just stop, and there will be a confrontation- which is something I would like to avoid- though Lucy has proven she is up to it, I don't think at her young age, I want her constantly bringing up confrontation because she is being impish. Anyway, before we left for the day, I decided to send her one more time. The sheep were the farthest away that they had been, and I thought that I would let her just do her thing. I sent her on the away side, and she did a nice outrun, came in nice behind, and brought them to me, while covering the pressure. Just like she should. These sheep make good dogs great. Nothing is lost on these sheep, and the dog just cannot be lazy, impish, or anything other than on task. I feel a bit more confident now about entering Lucy in the upcoming trials. She is listening, and we are working as a team.

No comments: