Friday, February 19, 2010

Love is in the air

Yesterday, while I was outside, just before dawn, I heard a Hoot owl, aka a Barred owl, hooting in the woods near my house. Cool, I thought. I had had what I thought was a red squirrel get up into my attic, and I wanted him gone, but he seemed to leave of his own volition. The other day I saw a flattened area in the snow- maybe said owl got him. Double cool.

So, this morning, as I was out with Danny and Lucy, I heard the original hooter, and then, another one, with a higher pitch. They were calling back and forth to each other. The higher pitched one ended up flying closer (I could hear it louder). So, I am hoping that this is a possible love connection, right in my neck of the woods, so to speak :) Barred owls are just beautiful, and they serve a good purpose. They eat just about everything, including squirrels :)

Lucy has decided to come into heat a couple weeks early. That means a lot less free time for both Danny and Lucy, until things go back to normal.

No sheep work this weekend, but I am taking the dogs for some nice long walks this weekend, which will be just what the Dr. ordered.

Tomorrow a hike, and then dinner with an old friend. A quiet weekend, just how I like it!

No comments: