Wednesday, February 6, 2013

100 oil, 100 hay....

Long day at work, a good one, as I got to do a little teaching, and have not done that in a very long time.. Anyway, when I got to the farm, because I was later than normal I fed the sheep before anything else.  When I checked their water (which I had let get lower than normal because I wanted to dump and give all fresh) I saw that it had frozen... So, I hurriedly kicked through the ice, cleaned and refilled it.  I don't get why with this heater after it gets a certain level down (the water) that the heater quits working... Anyway, never going to make that mistake again.  Will just have to heft the tank... even almost all full...  Sheep had found water in the feed tubs I used to use for feeding (it had rained), and the water in the tubs was not all frozen.  Smart sheep.  One thing I have noticed too, is that given the choice, the sheep would rather eat snow for their liquid... they really like it...  They seem to be doing well. 

Dogs had great time on their walks yesterday :)  When I got home, I saw the oil still wasn't there.  Now I was almost in panic mode.   It was very low the day before.  If you run out of oil, you have to bleed the lines, and it becomes a giant hassle.  I called the company and she told me that the driver was running late and he would be there.  Okay.... He finally showed up at 8:00 pm. Phew.  Hopefully this will be enough oil (100 gallons) to get me through this winter...  Funny how I got 100 bales of hay, and 100 gallons of oil...

Been eating pb/j on Ritz crackers for dinner quite often lately.  So easy, tasty....  I have those great soups for lunch; yesterday was chicken noodle, and it was superb.

We are due to get a big storm on Thurs/Fri/Sat?  This is when one of the ewes is due. I am getting more and more nervous about lambing.  I even ordered a stomach tube and bottle/nipple.... I have two meetings scheduled on Friday, and I bet and hope they are canceled.  They say it will be a BIG dump of snow... as in out of the ordinary/a lot of the white stuff.  Thank GOODNESS for the 4wd....

Well, that's it for now!


No comments: